Start your day off on the right foot with this delicious and nutritious Bircher Muesli recipe!
Bircher muesli is a traditional Swiss dish of an uncooked mixture of oats, nuts, seeds, grains, and fruit which is soaked in either milk, fruit juice or yoghurt and eaten raw.
Soaking oats and seeds overnight, makes them easier to digest, and the muesli will be extra creamy. Great for a quick breakfast straight from the fridge
It is a great way to get your daily dose of fibre and vitamins and is also incredibly easy to make. So whether you’re making it for breakfast or a snack, this recipe is sure to please!
Bircher Muesli with Apple and Banana Recipe
- 1/2 cup of whole rolled oats
- 1-2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1-2 tbsp almonds
- 20g chia seeds
- 1 cup of yoghurt (natural greek yoghurt with live bacteria/ plant-based yoghurt of your choice)
- 2 apples, sliced
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 2 Medjool dates, sliced
- 1/2 cup juice from orange or clementine freshly squeezed
- In a bowl, mix together the yoghurt and freshly squeezed orange or clementine juice.
- Add the rolled oats and chia seeds to the yoghurt mixture, stirring to combine.
- Cover the bowl and chill for several hours or overnight.
- In a frying pan, lightly toast the almonds and pumpkin seeds.
- When ready to serve, divide the overnight oats into individual bowls.
- Top with apples, bananas, Medjool dates, almonds, and pumpkin seeds.
- Enjoy with fresh seasonal fruits, if desired.
Health Benefits of Oats
Contain beta-glucan, a soluble fibre which has been researched to help slow digestion and suppress appetite.
Beta-glucan also helps to lower cholesterol.
It can bind with cholesterol-rich bile acids and transport them through the digestive tract and eventually out of the body.
Whole oats also contain phenolic compounds and phytoestrogens that reduce the damaging effects of chronic inflammation.