A healthy, easy and tasty spring recipe.
Great option for a quick breakfast.
Bircher Muesli is a cold oatmeal dish based on oats, nuts and fruits. This mix combined with liquids like milk, plant-based milks, yogurt, or fruit juice and left for some time to soften the oats before eating.
BIRCHER MUESLI RECIPE
- 1/2 cup of whole rolled oats
- 1-2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1-2 tbsp almonds
- 20g chia seeds
- 1 cup of yoghurt (natural greek yoghurt with live bacteria/ plant-based yoghurt of your choice).
- 2 apples, sliced
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 2 Medjool dates, sliced
- 1/2 cup juice from orange or clementine freshly squeezed
- Squeeze a half cup of juice from oranges clementine (fresh juice contain a high amount of vitamin C).
- In a bowl mix the yoghurt with the orange or clementine juice.
- Add to the yoghurt mixture the rolled oats and chia seeds.
- Now you can cover and chill for several hours or overnight, or prepare to serve as it is.
- On a frying pan, toast the almonds and the pumpkin seeds lightly.
- Serve into bowls and top up with apples, bananas, Medjool dates, almonds and pumpkin seeds.
- Alternatively, top with fresh seasonal fruits.
Health Benefits of Oats
Contain beta-glucan, a soluble fibre which has been researched to help slow digestion and suppress appetite.
Beta-glucan also help to lower cholesterol.
It can bind with cholesterol-rich bile acids and transport them through the digestive tract and eventually out of the body.
Whole oats also contain phenolic compounds and phytoestrogens that reduce the damaging effects of chronic inflammation.