Are you using chickpeas in your own cuisine?
Chickpeas are a small legume popular in the Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and Indian cookery.
They are usually sold pre-cooked in cans or dried.
If you buy dried you will need to soak in water before cooking.
On this blog post, I will suggest two options to use chickpeas in your kitchen.
Chickpeas are a wonderful vegan source of proteins in your diet and also of healthy fibres and minerals.
CHICKPEAS COOKED, BOILED, WITHOUT SALT – 1 CUP, 164 gr (1)
- Protein- 14.5 g
- Calcium- 80.4 mg
- Iron- 4.7 mg
- Magnesium -78.7 mg
Chickpea is a vegan source of high-quality protein, contains 12.5 gr of fibre per cup (50% of the Daily Value).
Rich in minerals as Calcium and Magnesium that are very important to maintain healthy bones and also a good source of Iron.
THE BASICS – HOW TO COOK CHICKPEAS?
Chickpea is extremely easy to cook, you can also buy it ready to use in a can.
To maximize its health benefits I always prefer to cook it at home.
- Cover the chickpeas in water double the amount of dried chickpeas
- Add 1 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate to the soaking water
- For overnight soaking- soak for 8 hours -> replace the soaking water with fresh water -> cook until it is ready to eat.
- For quick cooking- bring to boil for 3 minutes -> set aside for 1.5 hours -> replace the soaking water with fresh water -> bring to boil and change the water once again-> cook until it is ready to eat.
To the cooking water I like to add bay leaf, garlic clove and sage leaf, this cooking water is great to add to the hummus paste.
Another option is to add to the cooking water Kombu seaweed or just keep it plain.
HOMEMADE HUMMUS RECIPE
- 200 g Chickpeas cooked or canned
- ½ Lemon
- 2 tbsp Tahini
- 6 tbsp Water cooking water or regular water
- 2 tbsp Olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Cumin
- pinch Salt
Combine all the ingredients in a food processor, and blend to a creamy purée.
Serve and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle paprika on top.
Chickpeas can be used also as healthy dessert
CHICKPEAS CHOCOLATE COOKIES
- ½ cup Date syrup sugar-free
- 1 ¾ cups Chickpeas
- 1 cup Peanut butter
- 150 gr Dark chocolate chips
- 1 ½ tsp Vanilla
- 1 ½ tsp Bicarbonate soda
Preheat oven to 175 °C
Add all the ingredients except dark chocolate to a food processor and blend until smooth.
Add dark chocolate to the mixture until thoroughly blended. The dough will be sticky, don't worry.
With wet hands, form into small balls. Place onto a pan.
Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.