How to start & plan Detox? What to eat during detox?
Summer is almost here, and Spring is the best time to perform a detox! Detox can be an enjoyable process, especially if you plan it well!
Week 1- preparation
Detox requires physical and mental adjustment. Before you start to do a detox, follow the next steps:
- Write a food diary for a week- follow on which types of foods you are eating.
- Increase the good bacteria in your gut! You can do this both by taking a supplement of probiotics and by eating and drinking fermented foods.
Read about probiotics and fermented food more here.
- Start to eliminate foods from your diet- Cut off processed foods, fast food and alcohol! Reduce the amount of sugar, caffeine, wheat, and meat you are eating and choose healthier meals.
- Increase the intake of healthier meals, nutrients dense foods.
- Choose healthy cooking methods like steaming, broths, casseroles and lightly roast. Choose the best way that will preserve the nutrients of the food.
- Drink water- at least 2 litres a day!
- Write your goals for the detox! For example, a healthier lifestyle, better sleeping, improved energy, concentration, clearer skin, better digestion and emotional balance can be all in your checklist.
Week 2- start the process.
- Remove all processed and refined foods. Especially artificial sweeteners, food colouring and additives, sugary snacks, fizzy drinks, foods that contain hydrogenated fats and GMO.
- Add superfoods and vitamins! Adjust them according to your goals. During the detox, it is important to choose natural and food-based vitamins. For example, magnesium for better sleep and muscle cramps. Spirulina as a healthy multivitamin and mineral superfood.
- Cut off foods high in sugar and salt, yeast products, milk and dairy, citric acid, red meats and caffeine.
- Add sourdough rye bread, whole grains, fermented foods, nuts and seeds, herbs and spices, healthy oils and fats, pulses and legumes, oily fish and lean meats.
- Eat 5 times a day- aim to eat at least every three hours, to avoid sugar spikes that raise the stress hormone- Cortisol.
3 main meals- breakfast, lunch & dinner.
2 healthy snacks.
- It is important to consume a good source of fibre to help your bowels work efficiently.
Eat light leafy greens every day like baby leaf salad.
Week 3-deep cleansing
- Try to be Vegetarian for a week! Remember to eat enough protein! The healthy protein source is tofu, beans, legumes, pulses in the right combination with whole grains, eggs are also a good source of protein.
- This week includes citrus fruits with antiseptic and cleaning properties and dark leafy greens rich in chlorophyll, such as broccoli and kale.
- Seaweed, avocado, beetroot, turmeric and garlic will also be useful during the second detox week.
- Support the detox with herbal tea like dandelion, burdock, nettle, chamomile and Turmeric.
Finished the detox!
- Embrace your new healthy habits; you can start slowly to ease yourself off the detox plan.
- Resist returning to unhealthy habits and enjoy the benefits you have gained.