The consultation includes specific recommendations of Nutrition, Herbal Medicines and Bach Flowers Remedies to support your wellbeing and help you to manage the symptoms and balance the blood sugar levels.
During naturopathic treatment, we explore and address the environmental and lifestyle factors that play significant roles in diabetes.
Instructing clients about healthy lifestyle changes around diet and exercise are essential to support all types of diabetes.
Naturopathic treatments are safe, responsible, and doable for diabetes. Clients can lose weight, achieve significant energy, and decrease their glucose, cholesterol, and blood pressure levels.
Key facts about diabetes
- Diabetes is found in every population in the world and in all regions, including rural parts of low- and middle-income countries.
- WHO (World Health Organization) estimates there were 422 million adults with diabetes worldwide in 2014. Between 2000 and 2016, there was a 5% increase in premature mortality from diabetes.
- Diabetes is a major cause of blindness, kidney failure, heart attacks, stroke and lower limb amputation.
- A healthy diet, regular physical activity, maintaining healthy body weight and avoiding tobacco use are ways to prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes.
- Diabetes can be treated and its consequences avoided or delayed with diet, physical activity, medication and regular screening and treatment for complications.
There are several types of diabetes:
- Gestational- occurs if a woman develops diabetes during her pregnancy.
- Type 1 diabetes- caused by an auto-immune disease in which the body attacks the cells in the pancreas, which means it cannot make any insulin. Type 1 affects 8% of everyone with diabetes.
- Type 2 diabetes- caused by lifestyle choices and occurring in 90% of people with diabetes, including children. The body is unable to make enough insulin or the insulin it makes doesn’t work properly.
- Prediabetes is a condition in which blood sugar levels are higher than average, but not still high enough to be considered type 2 diabetes. Without lifestyle changes, most people with prediabetes go on to develop type 2 diabetes.
Naturopathic Treatments Help Control Blood Sugar
A naturopathic treatment approach for diabetes includes a combination of:
- Review of diet diary and blood sugar
- Dietary guidance for more balanced blood sugar throughout the day
- A thorough review of other systems impacted by diabetes, including the heart, kidney, liver, and brain
- encourage lifestyle strategies for disease management
- Preventative strategies to avoid condition worsening
- Herbs and nutritional supplements to correct nutrient deficiencies and support blood sugar management
Following the initial appointment, you will receive a personalised treatment plan with the highest priority areas to address and which approaches are likely to be most effective.
 “Diabetes – World Health Organization.” https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/diabetes.