Dal Bhat is a traditional meal, popular in many areas of Nepal, Bangladesh and India.
It consists of rice and a cooked lentil soup called Dal/ Dhal.
This meal is a perfectly balanced meal that contains healthy carbs, plant-based protein, fibre, minerals & vitamins, phytonutrients, and macronutrients.
This balanced vegan meal is wonderful warming dish for cold winter time.
25 minutes and its ready!
Vitamin B6, Iron, Manganese, Potassium, Betacarotene, Curcumin (1)
Gingerols (anti-inflammatory compounds), volatile oils (2)
B vitamins, Iron, Potassium, Zinc, Fibre, Protein (3)
What you need:
- 1 cup organic red lentils
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 2 cups of water
- 1 can of plum tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- Optional:1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- Optional: 1 tsp fresh organic turmeric, peeled and grated
- 1 spoon cold pressed coconut oil/ olive oil
- spices- curry or graham masala, black pepper.
How to make?
- Rinse the red lentils with cold water and let the water drain.
- Heat the coconut oil, add the onion, ginger and turmeric and cook for few minutes.
- Add the lentils, coconut milk, water, tomatoes and spices (No Salt yet, it will prevent the cooking of the lentils!!).
- Bring to boil and let it cook for 20-25 minutes until the lentils are cooked and ready to eat.
- Serve warm, decorated with fresh parsley/mint leaves and squeeze of fresh lemon (Vitamin C! help to the absorption of the Iron from the lentils 🙂) on a base of basmati rice.
See my other Eat Beautiful recipes-