Beautiful and healthy hair starts from the inside.
Many products in the beauty industry promise to improve your hair appearance and make it healthier, sometimes the result can be quite the opposite, certain ingredients can actually influence negatively on the hair appearance in the long run and create more hair loss.
A real change comes from the inside.
Healthy hair is the outcome of proper nourishment and treatment of your hair.
On this post, I want to share with you a hair care routine that includes four natural steps that can help your hair to be healthier and shinier.
The hair appearance is influenced by:
- Nutrition – this includes eating a healthy, varied diet that includes all the vitamins and minerals that are fundamental for healthy roots and prevention of hair loss. Lack in minerals like Zinc and Iron and vitamins like B vitamins are associated with hair loss and dry hair. 1
Also, it is vital to keep the right level of healthy fats in your diet, like omega 3. Hair growth may be negatively impacted by not eating enough calories and protein as well.
- Genetics – genetic factors are determining hair texture, for example, if the hair is straight, wavy, or curly, and the thickness.
Genetic can be related to many other conditions that we inherit. We can support our body in this area by taking preventive actions if we know of genetic predisposition.
- The weather – if the air is dry or moist, it affects your hair’s health and appearance.
- Stress can increase hair loss- but this doesn’t have to be permanent. If you get your stress levels under control, your hair might grow back. 2
- Hair products that we use.
How to take care of your hair and nourish it to be more healthy?
Once a week, I recommend doing a nourishing-oil hair mask as a treatment overnight or for a few hours before shampooing.
- Try the olive oil mask- you can read all about this olive oil DIY mask here. Olive oil nourishes the hair and helps to fight dry & frizzy hair. It also moisturizes the skin on your scalp.
- Or you can try another oil- coconut, jojoba and castor oil are also fantastic for the hair!
Try to avoid any silicones, mineral oil and parabens in your shampoo/ conditioner!
Silicones, mineral oil
One of the problems with silicones and mineral oil is that it creates a coat over the hair and doesn’t allow your hair to breathe.
Additionally, when an overload of silicone products are applied to hair, the buildup of the silicone coating eventually causes breakage.
Try to use avocado oil on your ends instead of silicon, it gives excellent results and seals the split ends.
Parabens are a preservative found in many cosmetics products.
Studies have shown that some parabens can mimic the activity of the hormones in the body’s cells and cause endocrine disruption.
Regularly cut your hair! Once every six months at least and sometimes even more often, this will preserve your hair length and also keeps it healthy.
- When you use a hairdryer, first let the hair to naturally dry while kept inside a towel.
- Then, blow-dry your hair, keeping the dryer relatively far from the hair at all times and moving it around continuously.