A Nutrient-Dense Scones Recipe with Fresh Berries for a Guilt-Free Treat. I recently visited a farm called Parkside Farm Pick Your Own and picked some fresh berries for a healthy spin on the traditional scones recipe. Check out the recipe below for a delicious and nutritious treat!
Are you looking for fresh, locally sourced ingredients for your summer recipes?
Every summer, farms around London open their doors to visitors to pick their own fruits and veggies – a fantastic way to eat locally and savour fresh produce. In July, berries like strawberries, red and black currants, and raspberries are ripe for the picking, along with other ingredients like beetroots, zucchini, and French beans.
Highlights of the Recipe Ingredients:
- Free-range eggs: A fantastic source of high-quality protein. Eggs are also packed with essential vitamins such as D and B12, selenium, and choline, promoting overall health.
- Extra virgin olive oil: Contains heart-healthy benefits and is a source of monounsaturated fats, which reduce inflammation and support brain health.
- Grass-fed organic butter: Elevates the taste and nutritional value of the scones. It contains fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K, along with healthy fats.
- Fresh berries: Loaded with antioxidants, fibre, vitamins, and minerals, making it a guilt-free addition to your scones. The tart and juicy flavour of red currants and raspberries pair beautifully with the scones.
Homemade Scones with Olive Oil and Fresh Berries Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 12-15 minutes
Serving: Makes approximately 8 scones
Homemade scones made with olive oil instead of butter, incorporating fresh berries to add a burst of flavour and nutrition.
- 450g self-raising flour (non-bleached)
- 30g Demerara sugar
- 2 medium eggs (free-range)
- 125ml whole milk, plus extra for brushing (organic)
- 65g extra virgin olive oil
- 10g melted butter (from grass-fed cows, organic)
- 2 handfuls of fresh berries (such as red currants and raspberries)
HOW TO PREPARE THE SCONES
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, milk, olive oil, and melted butter together.
- Combine the self-raising flour and Demerara sugar until well blended.
- On a lightly floured surface, gently knead the dough into a rectangle shape.
- Add the fresh berries to the dough and fold it over to incorporate them evenly. Be careful not to overwork the dough to maintain a light and fluffy texture.
- Use a cookie cutter or a cup to create round shapes from the dough and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little extra milk.
- Bake the scones in the preheated oven for approximately 12-15 minutes until golden brown and nicely risen.
- Once baked, transfer the scones to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Serve the scones warm or at room temperature with your favorite spreads or toppings. Enjoy!
By incorporating locally sourced ingredients, especially fresh berries, into your scone recipe, you can give your scones a healthy yet delicious twist.
HOW TO STORE
These scones are best enjoyed fresh. However, if you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. They can also be frozen for up to 1 month. To thaw, simply let them come to room temperature or reheat in a toaster oven.
- Feel free to use a mix of your favourite fresh berries or even dried fruits if desired.
- You can adjust the sweetness by adding more or less Demerara sugar.
- Be careful not to overwork the dough when incorporating the berries to maintain a light texture.
- Experiment with different spreads or toppings to serve with the scones, such as peanut butter, cheese, jam, or honey.
- This recipe can easily be doubled for a larger batch.