Feeling under a great deal of emotional pressure and unable to cope with certain life pressures? These are common symptoms of chronic stress.
During chronic stress, the body’s stress response system is constantly activated and significantly impacts health and well-being.
Stress can be supported with nutrition and herbal remedies, especially those known as adaptogens.
During stressful times, you can use a supportive nutritional plan that emphasizes specific vitamins and minerals, and lifestyle changes that can help you to manage these stressful periods.
ADAPTOGENS describes herbs that help the body “adapt” and adjust itself back to homeostasis (the tendency to maintain a stable, relatively constant internal environment).
Adaptogens describe a wide variety of plants.
Adaptogenic herbs act on multiple parts of the body at the same time. Their properties:
- protect nerve cells
- reducing anxiety
- improving cognitive function, memory, creativity, motivation
- increasing in mental work capacity (1)
In the image, you can see how adaptogens increase the state of nonspecific resistance in stress and lower sensitivity to stressors.
Adaptogens increase the state of nonspecific resistance in stress and decrease sensitivity to stressors, which results in stress protection and prolong the phase of resistance (stimulatory effect). Instead of exhaustion, a higher level of equilibrium.
THIS IS HOW ADAPTOGENS WORK:
They relieve stress by modulating the release of stress hormones from the adrenal glands.
ADAPTOGENS MIGHT HELP WITH THE FOLLOWING –
ADAPTOGENS AND ENERGY LEVELS
- Siberian ginseng root with its active ingredient “eleutherosides”, may help you to manage your stress level, especially if you suffer from exhaustion.
- Ashwagandha, or Withania somnifera, an amazing medicinal herb, that has similar qualities to the Ginseng can support your body if you suffer from stress and increase your energy level.
STRESS AND SLEEPING PROBLEMS
Rhodiola rosea grows in cold regions and at high altitudes in Europe and Asia. It is considered an adaptogen due to its purported ability to increase resistance to chemical, biological, and physical stressors.
Its claimed benefits include antidepressant, anticancer, cardioprotective, and central nervous system enhancement. Research also indicates great benefit in conditions like a decline in work performance, sleep difficulties, poor appetite, irritability, hypertension, headaches, and fatigue. (3)
FEELING ANXIOUS DURING THE DAY
Holy basil Known also as Tulsi, a herb with an ancient culinary, medical and ritual history. It is considered in Indian culture as a herb that improves the quality of life and good health.
FOCUS AND ENERGY
Gotu Kola Also known as Centella asiatica. This wonderful herb may help you feel more focused because of its known quality as a mental ability enhancer.
This herb is also very good for the skin and may help varicose veins because it stimulates collagen and elastin production.
- Reishi – medicinal mushroom with many health benefits: boosting the immune system, helps balance sugar levels in the blood and even may help for who suffers from insomnia.
It supports hormonal balance. Reishi is a very harmonic herb, so it should be considered in any stress management treatment.
- Cordyceps, strong adaptogenic qualities and with a strong affinity to the respiratory system.
It is used as a stimulant, a tonic, enhance stamina, and reduce fatigue.