A well-functioning, balanced immune system is essential for life.
You can maintain good health by eating a healthy, balanced diet.
The immune system must always be alert, monitoring for signs of invasion or danger.
Cells of the immune system must be able to identify self from non-self and separate between non-self-molecules which are harmful (e.g., those from pathogens) and other non-self-molecules (e.g., from food).1
It is important to eat healthy to support your immune system.
Healthy eating includes macronutrients like Carbohydrates, Proteins and Fatty Acids and micronutrients like Vitamins and Minerals.
Also, you need to eat enough prebiotics foods to support your gut microbiome. It has a role in mediating the immune system.
Starting with a healthy diet:
Bullet points to keep a healthy immune system2:
- Eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables.
- Exercise regularly- It improves cardiovascular health, lowers blood pressure, helps control body weight, elevates your mood and protects against a variety of diseases.
- If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation. Best is to avoid altogether.
- Get adequate sleep and restfully.
- Take steps to prevent infection, such as washing your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds.
- Cooking meats, eggs, fish thoroughly.
- Try to minimize stress.
- Don’t smoke.
To sum up, eat more healthy foods that will support your body function and will supply you the nutrients that you need to function well.
So, what are the steps that you will take to improve your health?