A well-functioning, balanced immune system is essential for life.
You can maintain good health by eating a healthy, balanced diet.
The immune system must always be alert, monitoring for signs of invasion or danger. Cells of the immune system must be able to identify self from non-self and separate between non-self-molecules which are harmful (e.g., those from pathogens) and other non-self-molecules (e.g., from food).1
It is important to eat healthily to support your immune system.
Healthy eating includes macronutrients like Carbohydrates, Proteins and Fatty Acids and micronutrients like Vitamins and Minerals.
Also, you need to eat enough prebiotic foods to support your gut microbiome. This is because it has a role in mediating the immune system.
Starting with a healthy diet:
Bullet points to keep a healthy immune system2:
- Eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables.
- Exercise regularly. It improves cardiovascular health, lowers blood pressure, helps control body weight, elevates mood, and protects against various diseases.
- If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation. The best is to avoid it altogether.
- Get adequate and restful sleep.
- Take steps to prevent infection, such as washing your hands frequently with water and soap for at least 20 seconds.
- Cooking meats, eggs, and fish thoroughly.
- Try to minimize stress.
- Don’t smoke.
In conclusion, eat more healthy foods that will support your body function and supply you with the nutrients you need to function well.
So, what steps will you take to improve your health?