Introducing our quick and delicious kale salad recipe that can be whipped up in just 5 minutes!
This lovely salad serves one person and highlights the superfood ingredient kale. Not only is kale healthy, but it can also be super tasty!
Kale a member of the Brassicaceae vegetable family, is a cabbage-like plant and is a fantastic superfood, meaning it is a nutrient-dense food that offers an array of nutrients such as beta-carotene, vitamins C, K, and folate, as well as minerals like calcium, magnesium, and iron. Kale not only provides these essential nutrients, but its antioxidants and ALA omega-3 fatty acids also offer potent anti-inflammatory properties.
There are various ways to incorporate kale into your diet, including blending it into smoothies or cooking it lightly to bring out its flavour. However, one of the best ways to enjoy kale is through a refreshing kale salad. To help you get started, we have a quick and easy kale salad recipe that can be prepared in just 5 minutes.
Kale health benefits
According to the article published in Nutrients (2022 Jan; 14(2): 245), kale provides the following benefits:
- Kale is a nutrient-dense food containing a variety of micronutrients, including beta-carotene, vitamins C, K, and folate, as well as minerals like calcium, magnesium, and iron.
- Kale is high in dietary fibre, which helps promote digestive health.
- Kale’s antioxidants and ALA omega-3 fatty acids offer potent anti-inflammatory properties.
- Kale is a good source of prebiotic carbohydrates and phytochemicals, such as folic acid, riboflavin, and carotenes, that serve as antioxidants and capture free radicals.
- Kale can aid in the reduction of inflammation.
- Kale helps reduce DNA damage and enhances vitamin C, carotene, and erythrocyte glutathione peroxidase activity.
- Kale has a relatively low-calorie content, making it a great option for those who are calorie-conscious.
How to eat kale?
You can eat kale raw or slightly sautéed like almost any other green leafy vegetable.
How to Prepare Kale Salad?
- If choosing to eat raw, after washing the kale and removing any tough stems, you can place the sliced kale leaves into a large bowl. Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil over the kale and use your hands to massage the oil into the leaves. This step helps to soften the kale and make it more tender.
- If desired, you can add additional ingredients to the kale salad. Some options include chopped vegetables like tomatoes, cucumbers, or bell peppers, as well as fruits like apples or dried cranberries. You can also add proteins like grilled chicken or chickpeas for a heartier salad.
- Season the salad with salt and black pepper to taste. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the salad to add a tangy flavour and to help tenderize the kale further.
- Finish the salad with optional toppings such as nutritional yeast, shaved Parmesan cheese, or almond flakes. These toppings add an extra layer of flavour and texture to the salad.
My preferred way of eating kale as a salad is by slightly sautéing it. I think this cooking method highlights its naturally sweet flavour, and it pairs wonderfully with garlic and almonds.
Sauteed Kale Salad Recipe:
Ready in 5 minutes
- 1 handful of fresh, just-washed kale leaves
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast, Parmesan cheese shaved on top, or almond flakes
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the kale and garlic to the skillet and sauté until the kale is bright green and slightly tender, about 4 minutes.
- Serve the salad with salt, black pepper, freshly squeezed lemon, and the toppings of your choice.
Enjoy your easy and tasty Kale Salad!