Scientific name: Lepidium meyenii
Why is maca So special?
Maca is a root vegetable which grows in the central Andes of Peru between 4000 and 4500 m altitude, far away from environmental contaminants.
Maca is packed with vitamins and minerals making it one of nature’s superfoods, it is high in Vitamin C, B6, Iron, Calcium, Riboflavin and Potassium.
Maca has to offer lots of health benefits, it is often referred to as Peruvian ginseng.
In Herbal Traditional medicine it is used for:
- Energy enhancer.
- Build muscle and increase stamina.
- Contains a variety of amino acids, which are the building blocks of hormones, taking maca regularly can help balance hormones.
- Maca supports mental clarity as well as the ability to focus.
- Reduces tiredness and fatigue.
- Supports the Immune System.
- Increases sexual desire and function (Aphrodisiac).
- Regulates female reproductive system.
- For men- maca helps to increase sperm count and motility.
What the current research has found?
Experimental scientific evidence showed that maca has nutritional, energizer, and fertility-enhancer properties, and it acts on sexual dysfunctions, osteoporosis, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), memory and learning, and protects skin against ultraviolet radiation.
Clinical trials showed the efficacy of maca on sexual dysfunctions as well as increasing sperm count and motility. 1
Maca grows in four different colour ranges, each of which has unique properties and works better for certain purposes.
Black maca shows the best results on spermatogenesis, memory and fatigue, while red maca is the variety that reverses the benign prostatic hyperplasia and experimentally induced osteoporosis.
Also, maca reduces glucose levels, and its consumption is related to the lowering of blood pressure and an improved health score. 2
Maca is a plant with great potential as an adaptogen and appears to be promising as a functional food in the prevention of several diseases.
How to use it?
The taste is sweet with nutty flavours.
As a powder Add 1 teaspoon to yoghurt, smoothies or hot cacao drink.
You can replace caffeine in the morning with a maca smoothie, that will boost your energy levels and reduce fatigue and tiredness.
Hot Chocolate - Maca
- ½ cup vegan milk (I use oat milk)
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp maca powder
- pinch of cinnamon.
- pinch of chilli pepper flakes.
- optional sweetener: coconut sugar/honey/maple according to your taste
- warm up the milk mixed with the water
- add all the dry ingredients and mix well
- sprinkle cinnamon powder on top
Who said that herbal medicine can’t be delicious ?!