Homemade Granola Recipe
Granola is one of the most nutritious and delicious breakfast options out there, but it can be hard to find the time to make it from scratch. Luckily, this healthy homemade granola recipe is easy to make and tastes much better than store-bought versions. You can customize it to your liking with your favourite nuts and seeds.
Benefits of Eating Granola for Breakfast
Granola is an excellent choice for breakfast because it’s high in fibre, protein, B vitamins and minerals. This meal will keep you feeling full for longer than traditional cereals would do, making it a great way to start your day.
Ingredients and Nutritional Benefits
Rolled oats are a good source of fibre, protein, and iron, and they also contain several B vitamins and manganese. Walnuts provide omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and other nutrients that help reduce inflammation and lower the risk of heart disease. Cinnamon is a natural sweetener that’s good for your heart health and can help regulate blood sugar levels. Maple syrup and honey are both excellent sources of natural sweetness.
Eating foods that are high in fibre, protein, and antioxidants can help reduce your risk of certain diseases. To add some extra flavour to your granola, sprinkle over some fresh fruit. You can also try adding dried fruits, such as dates or figs, which are high in antioxidants and fibre.
Nuts and Seeds Granola Recipe
- 1 cup whole oats
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon (Ceylon cinnamon)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin) or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp honey organic or maple syrup
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp coconut chips
- Heat a large frying pan and add olive oil or coconut oil.
- Add the whole oats to the pan and toast them for a few minutes until they become slightly toasted and crisp. Remove the pan from heat.
- Add the pinch of Himalayan salt, ½ tsp ground cinnamon, 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup, ½ cup almonds, and ½ cup walnuts to the pan with the toasted oats.
- Keep stirring the mixture until you smell a good fragrance and the oats and nuts turn golden brown.
- Turn off the heat and add the sunflower seeds, coconut chips, and hemp seeds. Stir to combine.
- Let the granola cool completely in the pan before storing it in an airtight container.
- Enjoy with fresh fruit and a scoop of plant-based yoghurt.
This granola recipe is versatile, and you can customize it to your liking by adding different types of nuts or seeds along with different flavours like honey or maple syrup. It’s also perfect for meal prep, so you can make a big batch over the weekend and enjoy it throughout the week for a quick and healthy breakfast or snack.
This granola recipe is a great way to start your day with a nutritious and delicious breakfast. It’s quick to prepare and made from only healthy ingredients, so you can add or subtract anything to make it work for your needs and tastes. Enjoy it with fresh fruit and plant-based yoghurt, or use it as a snack for a quick energy boost.