Granola is an excellent choice for breakfast! This breakfast is perfect to start the day in a healthy and tasty way.
Homemade granola is:
- easy to make (roasted in a pan)
- contains only healthy ingredients that you can adjust according to your needs and preferences
This granola meal gives you a boost of energy for the start of the day! It is rich in protein, fibre, B vitamins and minerals.
Enjoy with fresh fruits and yoghurt!
I recommend adding to this granola some fresh fruits.
Dried fruits are more concentrated with sugar than fresh fruits. Choosing fresh fruits is a good idea if you suffer from high blood sugar because they are lower in sugar. Fresh fruits are also higher in vitamin C.
If you would like to add dry fruits, try dates and figs.
These are great options because they are dense in antioxidants and fibre.
Nutritional Value of Oats
Oats are packed with nutrients and can help to maintain lower blood cholesterol when eaten regularly.
Oats contain diverse essential nutrients:
In a 100 gram serving, oats provide:
- 389 kilocalories
- rich source (20% or more of the Daily Value, DV) of protein (34% DV)
- dietary fibre (44% DV)
- several B vitamins
- dietary minerals, especially manganese (233% DV)
- 66% carbohydrates, including 11% dietary fibre and 4% beta-glucans1
Nut and Seed Granola
6 - makes about 2.5 cups of granola
- 1 cup whole oats
- ¼ tsp Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon (Ceylon cinnamon)
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin or virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbsp honey organic
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp coconut chips
- Place a large frying pan on the stove over medium-high heat and add olive oil/ coconut oil and oats. Toast the oats for a few minutes until they are slightly toasted and crisp, you will notice a good smell of the toasted oats.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except for the sunflower, hemp and coconut.
- Move the oat mixture around the pan with a wooden spoon until the oats and nuts start to turn golden brown and you smell a good fragrant (about 3–4 minutes).
- At the last minute, add the sunflower seeds, hemp seeds and coconut.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the granola to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
- When it’s cooling down, store in an airtight container.
- Enjoy with a plant based yoghurt and fresh fruits.