Start Your Day with a Healthy Breakfast – Porridge Recipe
Looking for a healthy and filling breakfast option? Look no further than porridge! Not only is it packed with B vitamins and minerals, but it also contains beta-glucan, a type of fibre that can help reduce high cholesterol and strengthen the immune system.
- 4 tbsp porridge oats (42g)
- 1-1¼ cup water/vegan milk/mixture of the two (I mix 1 cup water with 1/4 oat milk)
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- Add porridge oats into a saucepan, pour in water and sprinkle in a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Pour the porridge into a bowl and add your choice of toppings.
- Cinnamon, almonds, and apple
- Mixed berries, chia seeds, and coconut flakes
- Banana, 80% dark chocolate, and hemp hearts
- Sweeten with good-quality honey or maple syrup, or try without any sweetener.
The options are endless, so get creative and enjoy your delicious and nutritious breakfast!
Adding salt at the beginning of cooking will transform the porridge to taste more nutty and delicious. However, if you suffer from high blood pressure, it’s best to avoid adding salt.
A Few Words about Beta-Glucan
There are two common types of beta-glucan in our diet:
- Beta 1-3, 1-6 Glucan: This type has immune support properties and is found in oyster mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, and baker’s yeast. It’s an insoluble fibre and only needed in small quantities, which is why many companies make this supplement for immune support.
- Beta 1-3, 1-4 Glucan: This type helps to lower cholesterol and is found in oats and barley. When taken regularly in doses of 3 grams or more, it can provide significant health benefits.
So, start your day off right with a bowl of delicious and healthy porridge!