Porridge is a great option for a healthy breakfast, packed with healthy B vitamins, minerals, and beta-glucan, a type of fibre that may be helpful to reduce high cholesterol also to strengthen the immune system.
- 4 tbsp porridge oats (42g)
- 1-1¼ cup water / vegan milk / mixture of the two (I mix 1 cup water with 1/4 oat milk)
- pinch Himalayan salt
Add 50g porridge oats to a saucepan, pour in 350ml water and sprinkle in a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
Or you can try this in a microwave, mixed the ingredients in a microwave bowl and microwave for 2 minutes, Leave to stand for 2 minutes before eating.
To serve, pour into a bowl, add a topping of your choice.
- cinnamon, almonds, and apple
- mixed berries, chia seeds and coconut flakes
- Banana, 80% dark chocolate and hemp hearts
Sweeten with good quality honey, real maple syrup or try without any sweetener.
The options are endless 🙂 Enjoy
Adding salt at the beginning will transform the porridge to taste more nutty and delicious. If you suffer from High Blood Pressure don’t add salt.
Few words about BETA GLUCAN
There are two common types of Beta Glucan that are found in our diet:
- Beta 1-3, 1-6 Glucan has immune support properties, it is found in oyster mushroom, shiitake mushrooms, and baker’s yeast.
This type only found at low levels in a limited number of foods, this is the reason that many companies make this supplement for immune support.
It is an insoluble fibre and only needed in small quantities.
- Beta 1-3, 1-4 Glucan- this type helps to lower cholesterol, it is found in oats and barley.
This nutrient is a soluble fibre and when taken regularly in doses of 3 grams or more.