Oat banana bars are a super easy and healthy baby-led weaning recipe, perfect as finger food for your little food adventurer. Introducing solid foods is an exciting milestone in their development, and baby-led weaning allows babies to explore and eat by themselves from the start.
Baby-Led Weaning Recipe: Oat Banana Bars
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 25 min
Serving: about 30 Bars
These bars combine the wholesomeness of oats, the natural sweetness of bananas, the added benefits of chia seeds, and a burst of flavour from frozen berries. Let’s dive into the recipe!
250g rolled oats (about 2.5 cups)
250g ripe bananas (about 2 medium-sized bananas)
1 tablespoon chia seeds or flax seeds
A handful of frozen berries (blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries work great)
HOW TO PREPARE THE OAT BANANA BARS
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a baking dish with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mash the ripe bananas until smooth.
3. Add the rolled oats and chia seeds to the bowl with the mashed bananas. Mix everything together until well combined. The mixture should be moist but not overly wet. If needed, you can add a few more oats to get the right consistency.
4. Gently fold in the frozen berries, being careful not to overmix. The berries will add a burst of flavour and natural sweetness to the bars.
5. Transfer the mixture to the lined baking dish and spread it out evenly. Use the back of a spoon or spatula to press the mixture down firmly, making sure it is compact.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and the bars are firm to the touch.
7. Once baked, remove the dish from the oven and let the bars cool completely. This will help them firm up more.
8. Once cool, carefully slice the bars into finger-sized portions. The size and shape can be adjusted according to your baby’s needs.
9. Serve these oat banana bars as a standalone snack or with other finger foods. They can be enjoyed at room temperature or slightly warmed.
HOW TO STORE
Oat banana bars can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days. You can also freeze them for longer storage.
Before serving, you can reheat the bars slightly in a toaster or microwave if you want. Always ensure that they have cooled to a suitable temperature for your baby to eat.
These bars are super versatile and can be enjoyed as a nutritious snack for the whole family. They’re also perfect for on-the-go, making them a top choice for busy parents.
If you prefer, you can substitute the bananas in this recipe with an equal amount of apple purée. This will provide a slightly different flavour and texture but still retain the natural sweetness and nutritional benefits. Enjoy experimenting with this variation for your little one’s baby led weaning journey.
Oat banana bars are an amazing baby led weaning option, offering a wholesome and nutritious snack for your little one.
The mix of oats, bananas, chia seeds, and frozen berries provides a variety of flavours, textures, and essential nutrients. By promoting self-feeding and introducing them to a range of healthy foods from an early age, you’re laying the foundation for a lifetime of good eating habits. Give this recipe a shot and watch your baby explore and enjoy their first finger foods!