Wholemeal challah recipe is not only easy to make but also incredibly delicious and vegan, making it a perfect addition to your kitchen repertoire. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or just starting out, this recipe will guide you through creating three loaves of wholesome and flavorful Challah bread.
What Sets This Vegan Wholemeal Challah Bread Apart from the Traditional Challah Bread?
Well, we’ve made a few tweaks to make it even healthier and more nourishing. By using organic wholemeal wheat flour or spelt flour, we’ve added an extra dose of nutritional benefits. Plus, the inclusion of olive oil and maple syrup enhances the taste and adds a delicate sweetness.
To make this recipe even more exciting, we’ve also included a bonus recipe for homemade pesto. This pesto serves as the perfect accompaniment to the Vegan Wholemeal Challah Bread, providing you with a burst of flavour and a boost of nutrients.
So, get ready to embark on a culinary adventure that combines health and taste as we guide you through the process of making Vegan Wholemeal Challah Bread and offer you our signature pesto recipe. Say hello to a satisfying, nourishing, and mouthwatering bread that will surely become a staple in your kitchen. Let’s get started!
Whole grains are a powerhouse of nutrition, as they contain all three parts of the seed: the bran, germ, and endosperm.
Whole Grain flour is high in fibre and B vitamins.
- The bran (the outer layer) is rich in fibre, B vitamins, iron, copper, zinc, magnesium, antioxidants, and phytochemicals (components in plants that highly research for their health benefits).
- The germ (the core of the seed) is rich in healthy fats, vitamin E, B vitamins, phytochemicals, and antioxidants.
- The endosperm (the interior layer) contains carbohydrates, protein, and small amounts of B vitamins and minerals.
Why is fibre so important?
- Dietary fibre is vital for a healthy digestive system and regular bowel movements.
- When eating a fibre-rich diet, you will feel more satisfied with the meals and fuller for longer.
- A diet rich in fibre can improve cholesterol.
- A diet rich in fibre can balance blood sugar levels.
Consuming more fibre has been shown to be beneficial in preventing diseases like diabetes, heart disease, and bowel cancer, based on studies. This indicates that incorporating 2 to 3 servings of whole grains per day (~45 g) has the potential to yield significant health benefits.
Vegan Wholemeal Challah Bread Recipe
Very easy and tasteful Israeli recipe for Challah bread. Makes three loaves of Challah
Prep Time 10 minutes | Cook Time 35 minutes | Rest time 3 hours | Total Time 3 hours 45 minutes
- 1 kg organic wholemeal wheat flour/spelt flour
- 8 g Himalayan pink sea salt (1 tsp)
- Maple syrup (1 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp baker’s yeast
- 640 ml water (filtered, about 2.25 cups)
- 90 g olive oil (extra virgin)
- date syrup (optional)
- In a table mixer or a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, maple syrup and yeast.
- Add the water gradually and then the oil, and knead until the dough isn’t sticking to the sides of the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a towel. Let the dough rest for 2 hours in a warm place until it doubles its size.
- On a floured workspace, knead gently to get out any large air bubbles, divide into three pieces and form from each a braid.
- Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover with a towel and let the loaves of bread rise again for 40 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, and just before baking, brush the Challahs with date syrup or water (spread on top of sesame seeds or other seeds.)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Bake until the bread is golden brown on top.
- Enjoy your delicious Challah bread!
Try my recipe for homemade Pesto
My version of Pesto will provide you with a concentrated dosage of green leaves, rich in antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins and a good source of healthy fatty acids from olive oil & walnuts.
This Vegan Wholegrain Challah Bread recipe is not only delicious but also packed with nutritious goodness. With its whole-grain flour, healthy fats, and fibre-rich ingredients, this bread is a great addition to any healthy diet. Plus, the homemade pesto recipe provided adds even more nutritional value to your meal. So, try out this recipe and enjoy a healthy and tasty bread that will leave you feeling satisfied and energized.